Graduating from college is an amazing feeling. You are out on your own, and ready to take on the world. Unfortunately, your excitement is a little muted when you see all the debt you’ve accumulated in the form of college loans, credit card debt, etc. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to make your way through college without breaking the bank. There are the traditional ways, and there are new ways thanks to the internet, technology and a new breed of philanthropists.
1) Search Over 750,000 Traditional and VERY WEIRD Scholarships
In the US alone, the National Center for Education Statistics reports there are over 750,000 scholarships available. There are scholarships for nearly everything nowadays. Sometimes the criteria is specific, such as the Tall Clubs International Scholarship which is a scholarship of $1000 awarded to freshmen women over 5’10” and men over 6’2”. Here is another weird example: did you know that Jiff Peanut Butter gave away a $25,000 scholarship to the person who made the best peanut butter sandwich? Other scholarships leave the criteria wide-open, and simply applying can make you the sole winner.
The key to winning a scholarship is:
• Follow all the instructions, and do them to the best of your ability.
• Apply, Apply, Apply. Find as may scholarships as you can and review their criteria. If you fit, in any way, then apply.
• Search all scholarships and look for the unusual ones. Some good resources are www.scholarship.com and yescollege.com
• Get your application in early. While scholarships that require essays, short stories and proof of community service should be unbiased, it always helps to be that first person to kick it off.
• Please, don’t miss the deadline!
Click below to share this article.